Tuesday, December 04, 2007

DIY (for amusement only) or Jack of No Trades

In a flurry of hobby activities this past month I’ve had light shine on an aspect of my character. A breakdown of what I’ve been up to with my boatloads of free time:

The Toyota: Always a project to work on, sometimes crucial, sometimes cosmetic, the 4Runner’s 20 some years have been surprisingly kind with no major problems to date. The current task is fixing the power steering system, which blew a pressure line minutes before driving down to Colorado in May. I recently had a new one made for my quirky setup of a 1988 Supra engine fitted into the 86 4Runner body, and plugged it in. While attempting to loosen the pump in order to slide the belt back onto the pulley, I inadvertently removed part of the casing of the pump, exposing an O-ring fitted to a gasket which proceeded to dump ATF fluid everywhere, including my brake which now has a wonderfully high pitched shriek.

After replacing my mistake, I got everything else back together only to find no power steering. Many automotive forums and email conversations later, still no luck. Not only no power steering, but a slight leak from my early endeavor with the pump that I thought I’d pinch off by tightening what I thought was a loose bolt. The bolt stripped the inside of the bolt hole so I found myself searching for a new pump. Found one on eBay for $45 (normally $115), and got it Saturday. This afternoon during a break in the rain I pulled out the old pump and discovered a missing air control valve on the new pump. The valve is fused to a bolt that threads into the pump and runs one line to the engine and another to the air intake. I managed to take the good valve off of the old pump, but was unsuccessful in removing the broken one from the new. Then I wondered if that valve is supposed to come off at all. Then the rain started up again.

It sounds like I know a lot about cars, right? I mean after all, I’m talking about valves and pumps like I know what’s what. It’s true that I’ve learned a ton about cars by taking on all these projects by myself or with a knowledgeable friend’s help. But when the day is done, I’m still left with a car that doesn’t have power steering.

The Sears-Kenmore: My Mom was good enough to let me take her old Sears-Kenmore sewing machine back to Idaho with me after a swell time home for Thanksgiving. We spent an evening working out the kinks and she showed me step by step how to thread the thing, load a bobbin, and perform minor miracles with needle and string. I even took pictures of the process to help me get started back here.

Well this morning I decided to have a go at patching up my old Carhartts, which are fashionably worn through at the thighs, but pow’rful cold lately. And sometimes you just don’t want to wear the overalls, you know? So I brought up my tutorial pics, threaded that mother, loaded the bobbin, and ran a practice stitch through some scrap cloth. Perfect. To the task of wrestling burly duck cotton under the pressure foot without snagging the needle. Things weren’t going so smoothly so I removed the pressure foot and needle, positioned the pants and patch in place, and replaced them. Now there’s some crazy voodoo that happens on sewing machines where the thread from the top travels via needle to the underworld of the machine and returns with a loop of bobbin thread. I don’t get it, but it has to happen to get a decent stitch. Once the foot and needle were back home, the bobbin loop wasn’t jivin’ for an infuriating 45 minutes. I finally removed all thread and replaced everything, had it working for about 3 minutes before breaking the needle. Then to the truck.

I wouldn’t say that I’ve had a revelation, but these failures on both extremes of Manliness and Domesticness have caused me to really look at my rag-tag assembly of “skills” and how I spread myself over too many interests and hope to be master of all of them. I want to write well, take great pictures, be a strong bike rider, fix cars, know about music, play music, write music, make clothes, hike, and read everything. It’s not happening.

No comments: