Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Accessibility and Cool-Factor, in Relation to Bicycles

It's great to own lots of things. Taylor and I have come to the conclusion that having a lot of possessions is wonderful. Before you get all anti-materialistic in my grill, check this out: Often people have more interests and desires than their time or resources can satisfy. “Gee, I’d love to go camping, but I just don’t have the stuff to do it.” Or, “I can’t justify spending the money on something I’ll only use a few times.” This is where Taylor has taught me the value of owning much more than I could ever need for myself. We can lend this stuff out, let someone enjoy themselves with it who wouldn’t be able to otherwise. Things are made accessible that were out of reach beforehand.

I started thinking about bicycles in this way, since I currently own seven and needed a way to justify my greed. Not really, I’m fine with it. What I was thinking about was Buggy’s new fixed gear track bike. For those who don’t know, a fixed gear means that you have one gear and no freewheel or brakes. Everything is controlled through the chain and your one cog in the back, so however fast your wheel is going, you have to be pedaling that fast or the force on the crank will toss you in the air. Needless to say they’re hard to ride, especially at first. I’ve been racing for two years and they terrify me. But the bike got me to thinking about the Accessible to Cool ratio in one’s belongings. Take the bike: What’s so cool about it? Well to look at, it’s incredibly clean with no cable or housing running along the frame, no brakes marring the tubes, no gawky brake levers breaking the smooth curve of the bullhorn bars, and no derailleur bolted to the chain stays or bottom of the frame. If you find beauty in simplicity, look no further.

But almost everything that makes it cool is what makes it unrideable to the friend who needs a bike for the day. Its coolness is in its exclusiveness (surprise!), the fact that not just ANYONE can ride this bike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally can relate to what you are talking about the excess of stuff...from the other point of view. I have borrowed a prof's mummy bag for camping and snagged a archaic old canvas one person tent from my parent's attic that I absolutely adore now.
This also justifies the prolonged ownership of my horse--a good friend of mine might use him this summer. You know..always good to have an extra roping horse for someone to use. lol ok not so much..but it works for now. I've borrowed my brother's snorkle gear. Borrowing rules and so does lending...
I just aquired a "new" pair of wooden skis and haven't had a chance to use them as there has been no snow (and I don't have money for ski wax yet). I was feeling guilty the other day for having them, but it totally makes sense in the light of lending things out...now my family has 4 pairs of skis to allow groups of people to go skiing. Hmm...that's a good floor program--note to self.
I have so much stuff, I hope I can find uses for it all...if not, there is always Freecycle.com ;P
WOW...really long ramble...haha. But you read it...why? We may never know. I am procrastinating Psychology homework like no other. I suppose I'll go now and finish it.
Have a lovely day.
-=shell=-