Tuesday, February 21, 2006

As For France...

This is an older story from this past summer during the Tour. You might have seen it, but I thought it was worth a re-read, enjoy.

The Associated Press Friday, August 26, 2005; 11:00
PM PARIS:


Lance Armstrong's record setting seventh Tour de France victory, along with his entire Tour de France legacy, may be tarnished by what could turn out to be one of the greatest sports scandals of all time.

Armstrong is being quizzed by French police after three banned substances were found in his South France hotel room while on vacation after winning the 2005 Tour de France.

The three substances found were toothpaste, deodorant,and soap, which have been banned by French authorities for over 75 years.

Armstrong's girlfriend and American rocker Sheryl Crowe is quoted as saying "We use them every day in America, so we naturally thought they'd be OK throughout Europe."

Along with these three banned substances, French authorities also physically searched Armstrong himself and found several other interesting items that they haven't seen in years, including a backbone and testicles.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great article, who would have known.

Gather this is Timmy Watson, I found your link from the wonderful face book novelty. I've been reading for the last few weeks and I must say I enjoy them and can’t wait for the next. Hope all is well.

mg said...

Hey Tim, good to hear from you. I know, I have no complaints against Facebook either, it's marvelous.

I hear you're doing backpacking with Hoag this summer, congrats. Keep in touch, hope all's well.

mg

Lois E. Lane said...

Hi. Found you through beloved through everydayanne. Great story! I have to show that to my fam -- though some of them probably have about as much regard for Armstrong as they do for France :)

Anonymous said...

Matt, this article has one typo. We all know Lance does not have pural testicle, he has singular testicle(cancer and all that). This "story" would have been the best ever if it had read "including a backbone and testicle."

mg said...

I know I know, but who am I to correct the omnipotent media?

Anonymous said...

Nice clip there.
Just read something about Lance's dog today. Not so much humorous as strange. His 8-month-old Labrador puppy had open heart surgery to repair a valve. They used a cow heart valve...*shrug* I suppose if you have the money...
It doesn't really diminish him in my mind though. I was glued to the Tour de France last summer. I was living at an intern bunkhouse on a wildlife refuge and my neighbors tolerated my obsession...they grabbed their smaller t.v. (I was using the big screen) and played fantasy football on it while I watched the tour. *shrug* it worked out.

Anonymous said...

Question:
does your blog mean "The Airport?"
If I am right...why?

mg said...

It does, and I was just thinking of something that maybe represented thoughts and ideas coming in and going out when I started this thing.

Anonymous said...

Mattias, While the story is humorous, it still does not equal, what has to be, the most caustic, yet true, of all observations of the French-
Question- How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?
Answer- No one knows- it's never been done.
Vater

mg said...

So it would seem that taking cheap shots at the French is the best way to boost my readership...

Ibid said...

Matts Vater, Herr Gaither: Paris has been defended plenty of times, it just fell every time (that I can think of) in the end. The lazy Prussians had to beseige them into capitulation, but French people, as everyone knows, love to eat. However, the French are resourceful: the head of the french government escaped from Paris in a hot air balloon.