Monday, May 01, 2006

Let's Talk About Those Timely Blessings

When we’re told to walk by Faith and not by Sight, it seems that the common interpretation can be visually expressed by a man (full of faith) gathering up his courage and leaping into an abyss. Think Indiana Jones.

What this seems to suggest is that we only look to Faith when our Sight says “uh oh.” By then it’s not much of a decision, is it? The option to even walk by Sight is taken away, and so, we think, ‘I’ll walk by Faith now I guess.’ But there have been times when my Sight has been looking at something good, like a full suspension bridge across the abyss. Then we think it’s a no brainer, take the bridge. But what if Faith is saying something different? How much harder is it to listen to Faith when Sight is treating you so well?

That relates more to my biking adventures this year than it does to what I’m talking about here, which is God’s timing in blessing and grace. Take the past week for example. All things considered, possibly one of the most troubling, trying weeks of my life, though I just want to focus on one of the issues tonight.

On Tuesday, I may have lost my job at the farm for reasons unknown to me. Aside from being a huge financial blessing, it’s a great place to work with great people. But it really is my bread and butter when it comes to paying the bills. The pay is better than anything else I’ve heard of in Moscow, and the hours are flexible. With the summer coming up and me heading to Colorado in three short weeks until August, this isn’t as big of a deal as it would have been in the middle or beginning of the semester.
Timely Blessing #1.

But bills still need to be paid, and I’m looking at about a month without working. About a week before I received my termination letter, my landlords the Birks had asked me if I had any extra time to help do some landscaping at their house for their daughter’s wedding. I said that I really didn’t have the time between two other jobs and school, but that I could come once and maybe find some other people to help them out. I asked a few friends if they could help out, but, like me, everyone’s busy this time of year. I really wanted to help with this, but I couldn’t skip work at the farm and no one else was available. Then I got the letter, and suddenly I had three days a week open to work. They’re paying me $8/hr. Timely Blessing #2

On Thursday I met with Josh Gibbs to chat, and mentioned as we were parting ways this whole situation. He responded with “Oh, my mother in law is looking for some help with some yard work. And she’ll pay you $10/hr." Timely Blessing #3

On Saturday I was working at the Birk’s and spoke with Judy, who owns our house with her husband Tim who wasn’t in town with her. After some small talk about how school was going and how the house was holding up (they always like to joke with me about the fire of ’04), she told me that since Tim usually came over and cleaned all the leaves off of the roof and out of the gutter, that she’d knock $50 off of rent for me if I did it. Timely Blessing #4.

In what I’ve seen in my own life lately, it isn’t so much of leap of Faith, as it is a plodding away, doing what’s right and walking by Faith when those hairy spots interrupt. I don’t typically go looking for places to test my Faith. I usually have plenty of opportunities every day.

On the timeliness of Grace, it tends to come when it’s needed, and not before. This is what I think of when I hear walk by Faith not by Sight. It’s more of a worry-net. When things look bad to the Sight, Faith is there to assure you that Grace is there.


Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord – for we walk by faith, not by sight – we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.

II Corinthians 5:6-8

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Timely Blessing # 5.

You will be in Colorado with me for 3 months.

Hey Gaither, good post. It conjures up all my feelings of angst and worry about the future and knowing even though I cannot see the future it will work out and God will have me where I need to be... it is taking a lot of Faith to believe that right now. Bring the beard to Durango!

Anonymous said...

I've always liked the idea of our body being a prison for whatever divine spark we may harbor within us. And while that is not the main point of that passage I'm sure, it reminded me of that concept.

How very gnostic of me. How very chic.

mg said...

Jared, Marvell speaks to that somewhat in his "dialogue" poems between the body and soul, and body and created pleasure. I wrote something on that idea of the tension between the two, you can find it in the December archives here if you're interested.

Ibid said...

Matt, it sounds like you may already have as much work as you can handle right now, but I think the UI nursery is still hiring people for the few weeks left in May to help transplant stock before summer. It doesn't pay that well ($6.50 per hour) but it's tax-free and fairly laid back. They just hired a guy (Joe Mickler) and apparently he digs it.
Sorry to hear about the job loss; the farm sounded like such a sweet place to work (aside from the sheer insanity of it).

mg said...

He "digs" it, huh? Who would I talk to about doing this? Sounds fun and I don't really have anything lined up for the week after finals.

Ibid said...

Sue Morrison at the Nursery, 885-3512. She's always a bit hesitant, especially over the phone, but I'm sure if you wanted to you could sell your extensive experience with plant life and the blessed children of the place. Mention Jaman (he worked there; as did Ashleigh and Dana, as do Kelsey and now Joe). I don't know if I'm actually one of the blessed children anymore; I have a propensity for wanting to take vacations, but they have my postcards on the fridge.