Monday, September 21, 2009

Mo' Building




Thanks to a flexible farm and cleaning schedule I've been able to take on a few extra projects this summer/fall. This here's the shop I'm lending a hand to just outside of Princeton, ID. We worked on the rafters most of the past few weeks, and last Thursday I cut and placed the blocking between trusses in order to connect each independent section of the roof together.

Something wild about building that I've been made more aware of recently is the strength of small things in large numbers. That roof is divided into five separate bays, each of which is only supported by what's under it with no side to side support. The blocking I'm putting in consists of an 8 inch piece of 2x8 secured by 4 nails. Looking at the thing you realize it's smaller than your dinner plate. But when you place 20 of them in good spots, it's all of a sudden bomb-proof. Neato.

No comments: