Sunday, October 23, 2005

Mark of Success

A good sermon, in my opinion, is like water that seeps into the small, unnoticed cracks in a seemingly stout rock, that freezes and expands and cracks the stone to pieces in time.

Edub's talk this morning on the pursuit of wisdom and relating it to a young man pursuing a woman seems to be having this effect on me today. We were in Proverbs 4 this morning, and drawing on verse 18 made the comparison with hiking in the wilderness at sunrise. Things that were invisible and unknown to you only minutes before are suddenly in plain view, whether beautiful or terrible. Someone rejecting wisdom is like one in deep darkness, unaware of what they're stumbling over. I know I've seen that in my life; I can look back on less wisdom filled days and remember the stumbles seeming random, invisible, and appearing out of thin air, but with more insight today I can pick out most of the rocks and roots that were hindering me. I feel that it's a continuing process, that in 10 years I'll be able to look back, hopefully with more wisdom than today, and pick out exactly what was tripping me up this afternoon.

I think I easily fall into a way of thinking that tells me that I've got it mostly figured out. That while there is of course more knowledge out there than I could grasp, that I'm doing alright. Then the water starts to freeze, and I'm thankful for it.

2 comments:

Lincoln Davis said...

I love the illumination of a good sermon, of a wisdom that is not teaching so much as stating the way it obviously is. I'm jealous you got to hear that sermon today, and I didn't.

Ibid said...

matt,
thanks for your perspective.

davis,
thanks for yours.

(I have no intention of being supercilious, by the way)