Monday, October 24, 2005

Split em

My bike story idea:

While I was cruising down Highway 8 (enjoying every piece of chipseal maybe even more than the people in cars next to me losing paint as it rocketed out from between my tires into their doors) a car turned off on a road across both lanes from me on my left. It was a grey, older Hondsubishiyota, and the two people inside looked as if they were arguing. I think I could make out a larger woman in the driver's seat and a smaller man in the passenger. I immediately started thinking about ridiculous scenarios that involved them being a rag tag husband and wife bank robbing team, and that they'd been told by an inside source that a bicyclist on the road is a sign that the authorities are waiting for them in, say Bovill. The arguement they're having is them debating whether or not the cyclist was supposed to be on this road or another, general misunderstandings. They also start wondering if he's just a sign, or if his arrival in Moscow will spring the cops to attention in Bovill. They can't remember.

Meanwhile, our biker has nothing to do with the above plot and is just out enjoying the weather. We'll jump back and forth between the simple wanderings of his mind and the growing tension in the car, until they decide that they'd better do something about him getting back to town. I think that shortening each section as they get physically closer on the road would be a good technique for building tension. They'll be catching up to him from behind, so he doesn't see what's coming at all. I haven't decided what to do with the ending; dying biker ending the story with his continuing thoughts, a last minute decision by the couple to not hit him, maybe just build the tension and leave you hanging?

No comments: