Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Mold me

So it's a little early for school griping, but what the hell. I'm sitting in my Geography 100 lab, struggling to grasp the concept of the Coriolis effect in regards to air travel. My grad student teacher comes over, and basically fills in the answers for me. When I ask about the mechanics of it, since they still remain obtuse to me, she dismisses the importance of "actually knowing how it works." I offer my understanding of the effect, and she replies that it makes sense, but that she's been taught to teach this way which she admittedly doesn't understand and therefore can't explain to me.

What is the point of these "rounding you off/making you a better person" required classes if we can't have basic, 100 level material explained to us? The only rounding off going on is of my respect for the education system.

No comments: